- About us
- IBJ Awards
- Free Sample
- Contact us
Rio Tinto releases Q3 production results
(Posted on 18/10/19)
Rio Tinto chief executive J-S Jacques said “We have delivered improved production across the majority of our products in the third quarter, with a solid result at our Pilbara mines driving increased sales of iron ore into robust markets. Our strong value over volume approach, coupled with our focus on operational performance and disciplined allocation of capital, will continue to deliver superior returns to shareholders over the short, medium and long term.”
- Highlights include:
- Pilbara iron ore shipments of 86.1 million tonnes (100% basis) in the third quarter were 5% higher than the third quarter of 2018. Pilbara iron ore production of 87.3 million tonnes (100% basis) was 6% higher than the third quarter of 2018 and 10% higher than the previous quarter, reflecting a good recovery from the operational and weather challenges experienced earlier in the year.
- Third quarter bauxite production and shipments to third parties were 9% and 23% higher, respectively, than the same period of 2018. Bauxite production from non-managed Joint Ventures was lower than planned year to date.
- Aluminium production of 0.8 million tonnes was 3% lower than the third quarter of 2018, primarily reflecting a preventive safety shutdown at one of the three pot-lines at ISAL in Iceland and earlier than planned pot relining at Kitimat in British Columbia, Canada.
- Mined copper production of 158 thousand tonnes was 1% lower than the third quarter of 2018, but 15% higher than the second quarter, reflecting higher grades at Kennecott and improved throughput at Escondida.
- At the Oyu Tolgoi underground project, the primary production shaft (shaft 2) remains on track for commissioning this month. Since July 2019, we have completed key infrastructure, including the central heating plant, the shaft 2 jaw crusher system and the surface discharge conveyor. Work continues on the mine re-design.
- Titanium dioxide slag production of 321 thousand tonnes was 8% higher than the third quarter of 2018, reflecting a continued improvement in operational performance and the restart of furnaces in 2019.
- Third quarter production at Iron Ore Company of Canada was 3% higher than the corresponding quarter of 2018 and 17% higher than the previous quarter, reflecting a return to normal operating conditions following the flooding incident which impacted June.
- Guidance is unchanged, with the exception of bauxite production, which has been revised to around 54 million tonnes (previously 56 to 59 million tonnes), and alumina production, which has been revised to around 7.7 million tonnes (previously 8.1 to 8.4 million tonnes).
- On 25 September 2019, Rio Tinto announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding with China Baowu Steel Group and Tsinghua University to develop and implement new methods to reduce carbon emissions and improve environmental performance across the steel value chain.
- Third quarter exploration and evaluation spend was $177 million, 62% higher than the same period of 2018, primarily reflecting increased activity on advanced projects.
Rio Tinto has delivered first ore from the Gudai-Darri iron ore mine as the company brings online its... Read more
British Steel has been given planning approval for a £26 million upgrade to its Special Profiles... Read more
Trafigura Group Pte. Ltd, a market leader in the global commodities industry, released its half year... Read more
Rio Tinto and the Salzgitter Group have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to work together... Read more
Bunge has announced that it has exceeded its non-deforestation targets for monitoring and traceability... Read more
British Steel is conducting a major study into the use of green hydrogen in the company’s drive... Read more
Trafigura Group Pte Ltd., a market leader in the global commodities industry, has made a new commitment... Read more
BHP CEO Mike Henry has led the opening of Spence's new copper concentrator plant.The project required... Read more
Schenck Process, a global company for sustainable, integrated measuring and process technology solutions... Read more
BHP has completed the sale of its 80 per cent interest in BHP Mitsui Coal (BMC) to Stanmore SMC Holdings... Read more