Shipping launches new security resources for world fleet
(Posted on 04/07/18)
International shipping industry organisations, with military support, have launched a new website dedicated to providing comprehensive maritime security guidance to companies and mariners. Launched today, the new website www.maritimeglobalsecurity.org provides security-related guidance produced by the industry as well as links to other useful maritime and military security resources.
“In a world of increasingly complex security risks, it is essential that mariners and ships are protected. The new website will be a freely available facility where companies and mariners can access essential guidance and information to help them comprehensively prepare for voyages through areas of security risk,” the authors said.
The aim is to ease access for companies and seafarers to maritime security related information and guidance. Central to the website are new best practice guides to help companies and mariners risk assess voyages and mitigate against external threats to their safety. These are covered in three publications:
- Global Counter Piracy Guidance for Companies, Masters and Seafarers is a new publication containing guidance on piracy and armed robbery that can be used by mariners around the world.
- BMP5: Best Management Practices to Deter Piracy and Enhance Maritime Safety in the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea contains guidance for region-specific threats.
- The third edition of the Guidelines for Owners, Operators and Masters for protection against piracy and armed robbery in the Gulf of Guinea region is also provided.
All three publications are free to download and free printed copies of Global Counter Piracy Guidance and BMP5 will be available soon.
The authors are:
• BIMCO, ICS, IG P&I Clubs, INTERTANKO and OCIMF
The authors for Global Counter Piracy Guidance are:
• BIMCO, ICS, IFSMA, IG P&I Clubs, Intercargo, Intermanager, Intertanko and OCIMF.
Thordon Bearings has completed a range of water-lubricated and grease-free bearing installations to... Read more
Metalmark Capital Invests in Host to Fund Acquisition of Avondale and Provide Incremental Capital for... Read more
GTMaritime has signed Marinesat as a value-added reseller to deliver its maritime-optimised communication... Read more
Pacific Basin Shipping Limited, one of the world’s leading dry bulk shipping companies, has closed... Read more
The social partners, namely the International Transport Workers Federation (ITF) and the International... Read more
Diana Shipping Inc., a global shipping company specializing in the ownership of dry bulk vessels, has... Read more
Eagle Bulk Shipping Inc. has announced that is has exercised its options to purchase 15 additional exhaust... Read more
Damen Shiprepair Curaçao (DSCu), floating dock has become operational with the docking of a bulk... Read more
EuroDry Ltd., an owner and operator of drybulk vessels and provider of seaborne transportation for drybulk... Read more
Speaking in Tokyo on behalf of the global trade association for shipowners, the International Chamber... Read more