Shipping launches new security resources for world fleet
(Posted on 04/07/18)
International shipping industry organisations, with military support, have launched a new website dedicated to providing comprehensive maritime security guidance to companies and mariners. Launched today, the new website www.maritimeglobalsecurity.org provides security-related guidance produced by the industry as well as links to other useful maritime and military security resources.
“In a world of increasingly complex security risks, it is essential that mariners and ships are protected. The new website will be a freely available facility where companies and mariners can access essential guidance and information to help them comprehensively prepare for voyages through areas of security risk,” the authors said.
The aim is to ease access for companies and seafarers to maritime security related information and guidance. Central to the website are new best practice guides to help companies and mariners risk assess voyages and mitigate against external threats to their safety. These are covered in three publications:
- Global Counter Piracy Guidance for Companies, Masters and Seafarers is a new publication containing guidance on piracy and armed robbery that can be used by mariners around the world.
- BMP5: Best Management Practices to Deter Piracy and Enhance Maritime Safety in the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea contains guidance for region-specific threats.
- The third edition of the Guidelines for Owners, Operators and Masters for protection against piracy and armed robbery in the Gulf of Guinea region is also provided.
All three publications are free to download and free printed copies of Global Counter Piracy Guidance and BMP5 will be available soon.
The authors are:
• BIMCO, ICS, IG P&I Clubs, INTERTANKO and OCIMF
The authors for Global Counter Piracy Guidance are:
• BIMCO, ICS, IFSMA, IG P&I Clubs, Intercargo, Intermanager, Intertanko and OCIMF.
Wallem has updated its corporate identity to mark the beginning of a profound shift in its service offering... Read more
Songa Bulk ASA and Axxis Geo Solutions AS have entered into a joint merger plan, pursuant to which Songa... Read more
Leading Classification Society ClassNK has released its Cyber Security Management System for Ships.As... Read more
The International Maritime Organization (IMO) has agreed to address maritime corruption by including... Read more
Hydrex has developed a flexible mobdock repair method that enables the underwater replacement of all... Read more
The Leading Maritime Capitals report for 2019 is has been published, with fresh insight on which maritime... Read more
Indian Register of Shipping (IRClass), continues to grow steadily in the Asia Pacific region –... Read more
Yesterday in Singapore, the International Chamber of Shipping (ICS), the Asian Shipowners’ Association... Read more
UK-based Coldharbour Marine, the manufacturer of an in-tank ballast water treatment systems (BWTS) based... Read more
Leading classification society ClassNK has developed “Guidance for onboard use of Compliant Fuel... Read more