Shipping launches new security resources for world fleet
(Posted on 04/07/18)
International shipping industry organisations, with military support, have launched a new website dedicated to providing comprehensive maritime security guidance to companies and mariners. Launched today, the new website www.maritimeglobalsecurity.org provides security-related guidance produced by the industry as well as links to other useful maritime and military security resources.
“In a world of increasingly complex security risks, it is essential that mariners and ships are protected. The new website will be a freely available facility where companies and mariners can access essential guidance and information to help them comprehensively prepare for voyages through areas of security risk,” the authors said.
The aim is to ease access for companies and seafarers to maritime security related information and guidance. Central to the website are new best practice guides to help companies and mariners risk assess voyages and mitigate against external threats to their safety. These are covered in three publications:
- Global Counter Piracy Guidance for Companies, Masters and Seafarers is a new publication containing guidance on piracy and armed robbery that can be used by mariners around the world.
- BMP5: Best Management Practices to Deter Piracy and Enhance Maritime Safety in the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea contains guidance for region-specific threats.
- The third edition of the Guidelines for Owners, Operators and Masters for protection against piracy and armed robbery in the Gulf of Guinea region is also provided.
All three publications are free to download and free printed copies of Global Counter Piracy Guidance and BMP5 will be available soon.
The authors are:
• BIMCO, ICS, IG P&I Clubs, INTERTANKO and OCIMF
The authors for Global Counter Piracy Guidance are:
• BIMCO, ICS, IFSMA, IG P&I Clubs, Intercargo, Intermanager, Intertanko and OCIMF.
Following the sale of 10 ships since 2018, Dampskibsselskabet Norden has entered into a newbuilding... Read more
V.GROUP, the leading global provider of ship management and marine support services, and Ocean Technologies... Read more
Inmarsat, the world leader in global, mobile satellite communications, has published a new report focusing... Read more
The Middle East Navigation Aids Service (MENAS) has recently invested $20,000 in upgrading its Aids... Read more
Despite a universal campaign from all sectors of the shipping industry to classify seafarers as key... Read more
Captain Rajesh Unni, CEO and Founder of Synergy Group, has released a statement to mark this year&rsquo... Read more
Maritime Law specialist Hill Dickinson’s position at the centre of the Hong Kong shipping services... Read more
Shipping should urgently implement a range of short-term efficiency gains to reduce carbon emissions... Read more
KVH Industries, Inc., a global leader of maritime satellite connectivity, has announced that it is expanding... Read more
Global ship management company V.Group has produced a series of discussion papers entitled ‘Life... Read more