- About us
- IBJ Awards
- Free Sample
- Contact us
Shipping launches new security resources for world fleet
(Posted on 04/07/18)
International shipping industry organisations, with military support, have launched a new website dedicated to providing comprehensive maritime security guidance to companies and mariners. Launched today, the new website www.maritimeglobalsecurity.org provides security-related guidance produced by the industry as well as links to other useful maritime and military security resources.
“In a world of increasingly complex security risks, it is essential that mariners and ships are protected. The new website will be a freely available facility where companies and mariners can access essential guidance and information to help them comprehensively prepare for voyages through areas of security risk,” the authors said.
The aim is to ease access for companies and seafarers to maritime security related information and guidance. Central to the website are new best practice guides to help companies and mariners risk assess voyages and mitigate against external threats to their safety. These are covered in three publications:
- Global Counter Piracy Guidance for Companies, Masters and Seafarers is a new publication containing guidance on piracy and armed robbery that can be used by mariners around the world.
- BMP5: Best Management Practices to Deter Piracy and Enhance Maritime Safety in the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea contains guidance for region-specific threats.
- The third edition of the Guidelines for Owners, Operators and Masters for protection against piracy and armed robbery in the Gulf of Guinea region is also provided.
All three publications are free to download and free printed copies of Global Counter Piracy Guidance and BMP5 will be available soon.
The authors are:
• BIMCO, ICS, IG P&I Clubs, INTERTANKO and OCIMF
The authors for Global Counter Piracy Guidance are:
• BIMCO, ICS, IFSMA, IG P&I Clubs, Intercargo, Intermanager, Intertanko and OCIMF.
Global resources company BHP, German shipping company Oldendorff Carriers, and advanced biofuels pioneer... Read more
The Swedish Club has partnered with industry leading cargo consultants, CWA International, to develop... Read more
Criminal gangs are increasingly exploiting merchant shipping to traffic large volumes of illicit drugs... Read more
As recent news reports highlight, the shipping industry continues to face threats such as piracy, kidnapping... Read more
Algoma Central Corporation, a leading supplier of marine transportation services, has announced that... Read more
Wavespec, as the last technical entity within Braemar Shipping Services Plc, has announced that it is... Read more
INTERCARGO believes that, once again seafarers are falling victim to the lack of focus and joined up... Read more
As efforts to refloat the Ever Given continue, the International Chamber of Shipping (ICS) has released... Read more
GTMaritime has announced that it has transitioned its business to an Employee Owned Trust (EOT), in... Read more
Leading classification society ClassNK has begun joint investigative research with Sompo Japan Insurance... Read more