Shipping launches new security resources for world fleet
(Posted on 04/07/18)
International shipping industry organisations, with military support, have launched a new website dedicated to providing comprehensive maritime security guidance to companies and mariners. Launched today, the new website www.maritimeglobalsecurity.org provides security-related guidance produced by the industry as well as links to other useful maritime and military security resources.
“In a world of increasingly complex security risks, it is essential that mariners and ships are protected. The new website will be a freely available facility where companies and mariners can access essential guidance and information to help them comprehensively prepare for voyages through areas of security risk,” the authors said.
The aim is to ease access for companies and seafarers to maritime security related information and guidance. Central to the website are new best practice guides to help companies and mariners risk assess voyages and mitigate against external threats to their safety. These are covered in three publications:
- Global Counter Piracy Guidance for Companies, Masters and Seafarers is a new publication containing guidance on piracy and armed robbery that can be used by mariners around the world.
- BMP5: Best Management Practices to Deter Piracy and Enhance Maritime Safety in the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea contains guidance for region-specific threats.
- The third edition of the Guidelines for Owners, Operators and Masters for protection against piracy and armed robbery in the Gulf of Guinea region is also provided.
All three publications are free to download and free printed copies of Global Counter Piracy Guidance and BMP5 will be available soon.
The authors are:
• BIMCO, ICS, IG P&I Clubs, INTERTANKO and OCIMF
The authors for Global Counter Piracy Guidance are:
• BIMCO, ICS, IFSMA, IG P&I Clubs, Intercargo, Intermanager, Intertanko and OCIMF.
Seanergy Maritime Holdings Corp. has announced that it has reached final agreements with certain of... Read more
The Isle of Man Ship Registry has formally launched the first ever seafarer welfare app designed by... Read more
DNV GL, the assurance and risk management company, will change its name to DNV on 1 March 2021. The... Read more
Norwegian-based scale-up Yxney Maritime and Inmarsat, the world leader in global, mobile satellite communications... Read more
Leading Classification Society ClassNK has been analyzing the retrofitting status of ballast water management... Read more
The maritime industry will remain a target of cyber-criminals in 2021 and the world’s shipping... Read more
The Isle of Man Ship Registry (IOMSR) has appointed its first permanent representative in China.Well... Read more
The first shipment, carrying bauxite, destined for Emirates Global Aluminium (EGA)’s Al Taweelah... Read more
The Maritime Authority of Jamaica has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Republic of Kenya... Read more
One of the shipping industry’s leading specialists in seafarer mental health support is offering... Read more