Shipping launches new security resources for world fleet
(Posted on 04/07/18)
International shipping industry organisations, with military support, have launched a new website dedicated to providing comprehensive maritime security guidance to companies and mariners. Launched today, the new website www.maritimeglobalsecurity.org provides security-related guidance produced by the industry as well as links to other useful maritime and military security resources.
“In a world of increasingly complex security risks, it is essential that mariners and ships are protected. The new website will be a freely available facility where companies and mariners can access essential guidance and information to help them comprehensively prepare for voyages through areas of security risk,” the authors said.
The aim is to ease access for companies and seafarers to maritime security related information and guidance. Central to the website are new best practice guides to help companies and mariners risk assess voyages and mitigate against external threats to their safety. These are covered in three publications:
- Global Counter Piracy Guidance for Companies, Masters and Seafarers is a new publication containing guidance on piracy and armed robbery that can be used by mariners around the world.
- BMP5: Best Management Practices to Deter Piracy and Enhance Maritime Safety in the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea contains guidance for region-specific threats.
- The third edition of the Guidelines for Owners, Operators and Masters for protection against piracy and armed robbery in the Gulf of Guinea region is also provided.
All three publications are free to download and free printed copies of Global Counter Piracy Guidance and BMP5 will be available soon.
The authors are:
• BIMCO, ICS, IG P&I Clubs, INTERTANKO and OCIMF
The authors for Global Counter Piracy Guidance are:
• BIMCO, ICS, IFSMA, IG P&I Clubs, Intercargo, Intermanager, Intertanko and OCIMF.
Fednav Limited has taken ownership of a 60th bulk carrier, an important milestone in the comany&rsquo... Read more
Leading Classification Society ClassNK granted an Approval in Principle (AIP) based on its Rule Part... Read more
July 2018 is a significant milestone in the history of the Thome Group because it was 55 years ago this... Read more
An EC-funded programme is to improve sustainability in shipbuilding and maintain Europe’s leading... Read more
Norsafe Academy Hellas is pleased to announce that it has entered into a cooperative agreement with... Read more
Leading carrier of dry bulk cargoes in the Baltic, Aspo Group owned ESL Shipping Ltd, is to acquire... Read more
Marek Kowalski, former Chief Executive of Polish shipping agency, Interbalt, has launched shipping and... Read more
His Royal Highness King Willem-Alexander and Her Royal Highness Queen Máxima have visited Damen... Read more
The IMO, in accordance with the provisions of Article 11 of MARPOL, has circulated details of the Liberian... Read more
The Swedish Club has warned that vessel operators should always look to the long term, when specifying... Read more