Shipping launches new security resources for world fleet
(Posted on 04/07/18)
International shipping industry organisations, with military support, have launched a new website dedicated to providing comprehensive maritime security guidance to companies and mariners. Launched today, the new website www.maritimeglobalsecurity.org provides security-related guidance produced by the industry as well as links to other useful maritime and military security resources.
“In a world of increasingly complex security risks, it is essential that mariners and ships are protected. The new website will be a freely available facility where companies and mariners can access essential guidance and information to help them comprehensively prepare for voyages through areas of security risk,” the authors said.
The aim is to ease access for companies and seafarers to maritime security related information and guidance. Central to the website are new best practice guides to help companies and mariners risk assess voyages and mitigate against external threats to their safety. These are covered in three publications:
- Global Counter Piracy Guidance for Companies, Masters and Seafarers is a new publication containing guidance on piracy and armed robbery that can be used by mariners around the world.
- BMP5: Best Management Practices to Deter Piracy and Enhance Maritime Safety in the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea contains guidance for region-specific threats.
- The third edition of the Guidelines for Owners, Operators and Masters for protection against piracy and armed robbery in the Gulf of Guinea region is also provided.
All three publications are free to download and free printed copies of Global Counter Piracy Guidance and BMP5 will be available soon.
The authors are:
• BIMCO, ICS, IG P&I Clubs, INTERTANKO and OCIMF
The authors for Global Counter Piracy Guidance are:
• BIMCO, ICS, IFSMA, IG P&I Clubs, Intercargo, Intermanager, Intertanko and OCIMF.
AXSMarine, a pioneer and market leader in the provision of advanced solutions for shipping professionals... Read more
The Baltic Exchange has launched a new assessment to track the cost of operating vessels. Initially... Read more
The West of England, a leading mutual marine insurer, has celebrated the 50th Anniversary of its Greek... Read more
Fleet Management Ltd, one of the world's largest independent third-party ship management companies,... Read more
Rotterdam based ship management company Misuga Kaiun Holland B.V. has chosen Marlink to provision cost... Read more
Clipper Bulk, in close collaboration with a financial partner, has acquired three Handysize dry cargo... Read more
A vision of the Ship Manager of the Future and the way ship management companies will interact with... Read more
Arun Sharma, Executive Chairman of the Indian Register of Shipping (IRClass), has been formally introduced... Read more
Leading Classification Society ClassNK has established a cross-sectional cyber security project team... Read more
Fednav Limited has taken delivery of the Federal Montreal, its newest Great Lakes-suitable handysize... Read more