- About us
- IBJ Awards
- Free Sample
- Contact us
UC Rusal’s third quarter results
(Posted on 09/11/18)
UC Rusal, a leading global aluminium producer, has announced its results for the three and nine months ended 30 September 2018.
Key highlights include:
- Adverse effect of the OFAC sanctions resulted in extraordinary low sales volume reported by the Company in the second quarter of 2018. Compared to this low base level there was a one-off recovery of sales volume through the third quarter of 2018.
- Thus, the Company reported 33.6% growth in volumes of primary aluminium and alloys sold in the third quarter of 2018 upon the extension of Company’s general licenses, after a significant reduction in the second quarter of 2018. Revenue in the third quarter of 2018 increased by 18.6% to USD2,918 million as compared to USD2,460 million in the third quarter of 2017. The result was an improvement of financial and operating indicators in the third quarter of 2018.
- Sales of primary aluminium and alloys for the nine months of 2018 decreased by 5.4% to 2,794 thousand tonnes, as compared to 2,955 thousand tonnes sold through nine months of 2017, while sales of alumina dropped by 4.5% to 1,457 thousand tonnes for the nine months 2018, as compared to 1,526 thousand tonnes sold through nine months of 2017. Revenue for the nine months of 2018 increased by 9.6% to USD7,915 million as compared to USD7,224 million for the nine months of 2017 which reflects higher average aluminium sales price, premiums and alumina prices.
- The third quarter of 2018 was characterized by the rising aluminum market deficit outside of China, as well as the decline in available aluminum stocks to lowest levels in 10 years. The situation has caused upside price volatility at the highest levels.
- As a result of the above and due to the depreciation of Russian Rouble against US dollar in the third quarter of 2018, the Company profit for the third quarter of 2018 increased by 46.3% to USD597 million, as compared to USD408 million in the second quarter of the year. However the adjusted net profit (the net profit adjusted for the net effect of the Company’s investment in Norilsk Nickel, the net effect of derivative financial instruments and the net effect of non-current assets impairment) for the nine months of 2018 increased by 20.1% to USD873 million as compared to USD727 million for the nine months of 2017.
- Production cost per tonne in aluminium segment amounted to USD 1,658 and increased by 12.3% in the nine months of 2018 as compared to the same period of 2017 as a result of significant increase in electricity, key raw materials prices and railway transportation tariffs.
- Whilst the Company continuously monitors the impact of the OFAC Sanctions on the Group, the Company's current assessment remains the same, that it is highly likely that the impact may be materially adverse to the business of the Group. The Company's primary focus remains on the maintenance of its operations and the protection of the interests of all of its creditors, investors and shareholders.
Call for EU co-legislators to secure clean ammonia production(Posted on 28/03/23)
Fertilizers Europe has called on EU co-legislators to ensure that clean fertilizer and ammonia production... Read more
BHP and Hatch design study for electric smelting furnace pilot(Posted on 24/03/23)
BHP and global engineering, project management and professional services firm, Hatch, have signed an... Read more
Rio Tinto spends over A$15.3 bn with Australian suppliers(Posted on 20/03/23)
Rio Tinto increased its spend with Australian suppliers to more than A$15.3 billion in 2022, as part... Read more
Trafigura closes the refinancing and extension of credit facilities(Posted on 20/03/23)
Trafigura Group Pte Ltd., a market leader in the global commodities industry, has announced the closing... Read more
Nexyst 360 selects Nexxiot to digitalize 5000 grain containers(Posted on 07/03/23)
Nexyst 360, an innovative grain transportation solution provider, has partnered with Nexxiot to digitalize... Read more
Cargill strengthens executive team(Posted on 28/02/23)
Cargill has announced the appointments of Joanne Knight as Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and Philippa... Read more
SACE’s Push Strategy to support supplies of commodities to Italy(Posted on 24/02/23)
Trafigura, a market leader in the global commodities industry, has entered into a USD 500 million five... Read more
Job losses loom as British steel proposes coke ovens closure(Posted on 22/02/23)
British Steel has announced proposals to close its coke ovens as part of its drive to overcome global... Read more
Rio Tinto and Marubeni to create stronger Aluminium supply chains(Posted on 20/02/23)
Global miner Rio Tinto and Japanese trader and business conglomerate Marubeni Corporation have agreed... Read more
Trafigura completes acquisition of Ecobat Stolberg multi-metals plant(Posted on 20/02/23)
Trafigura, a market leader in the global commodities industry, and Ecobat, the global leader in battery... Read more